Tuesday, September 1, 2009

What to eat after a week of modaks


Now that the Ganesh festival is over ( well almost!) I am thankful that I won't have to eat any more sweet stuff.

Frankly, I think we overdo the sweets in our home: every celebration automatically revolves around eating and the sweeter it is the better. Which is why after any  festival or extended periods of festivity like a wedding or a family get together, I look forward to eating something different from the traditional food that we'd been seeing on our table for the past few days. Yet, after days of rich food, it is hard to get back to the basic daal roti, which is why I feel  my version of Paneer Makhanwalla,  is a great way to wean one's sweet buds away from a week's indulgence. This recipe, which is creamily sinful, has just the right amount of sweet and sour and a hint of spice .

You will need
  • 500 g paneer
  • 1/2 cup cream
  • 2 tbspns tomato puree
  • 2 tbspns oil
  • 2 tbspns ghee
  • 1/2 tspns kalonji
  • 1/2 tspn turmeric
  • 1 tbspn sugar
  • For the masala paste
    • 4 -6 almonds/cashews
    • 1 medium onion chopped
    • 1/4 tspn methi seeds
    • 2-3 curry patta leaves
    • 2-3 cloves garlic
    • 1" piece ginger
    • 1 -2 red chillies
    • 1 tspn garam masala
What to do:
  • Soak the almonds and remove skin. Also soak the methi seeds.
  • Make a fine paste of almonds, methi seeds,red chilly, garlic ginger onion and curry patta leaves.
  • Heat the ghee and oil in a non-stick fry pan.
  • Cut the paneer into thick wedges and lightly fry . Remove and keep aside.
  • In the same pan, add the masala paste, turmeric, kalonji seeds and saute well till the masala turns gets a shiny glaze. ( on low heat to avoid burning)
  • Add the tomato puree, sugar and salt to taste. Continue frying on low heat. Dilute with water if required.
  • Add the fresh cream and cover and let simmer for 2-3 mins.
  • Add the fried paneer and leave covered till ready to serve. Heat gently to warm up. Serve with chopped corriander.
Sometimes I even add wedges of tomato and leave them slightly under cooked.
I also put in slit green chillies if I want it more spicy.
You can vary the amount of red chillies, sugar, cream and salt,as per your taste. 
I even use this basic gravy recipe to make chicken makhanwala for which I fry pieces of boneless chicken made into cubes or left over tandoori chicken.
I also use this gravy to make vegetable makhanwala where I add steamed green beans, carrots, peas cauliflower and potato.
Hope you enjoy making this dish!!

No comments: